Sunday, October 27, 2013

Is Jesus (Really) Calling?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013/october/sarah-young-still-hears-jesus-calling.html?paging=off


This is a very interesting article. Despite the fact that Sarah Young is a Reformed Presbyterian, and we agree (for the most part) theologically, some questions have definitely been raised in my mind regarding her bestselling devotional, Jesus Calling.

Some of Young's claims have come off very mystical and and alarming to me. I am not ready to make a claim for or against Young's devotional, but I am definitely more critical of it now than I was before.

I realize I might be offending some people who have found Jesus Calling to be helpful and a great inspiration. Please know, that is not my intention. I simply want others to look into this for themselves and not to have a blind leap of faith in Sarah Young's Jesus Calling.


What others have said (both for and against) about Jesus Calling:

"Her writing is based on what she has read in Scripture and through prayer. If you really get into Scripture and let it speak to you and come with a willing spirit, the Spirit will speak to your heart." - Laura Minchew, Senior Vice President of Specialty Publishing at Thomas Nelson

"...she puts her thoughts into the first person and then presents that 'person' as the resurrected Lord. Frankly, I find this to be outrageous. I'm sure she is a very devout, pious woman, but I'm tempted to call this blasphemy." - David Crump, Professor of Religion at Calvin College

"It seems that what she's doing is illumination, [giving] insight into the meaning of Scripture and its application to you. She's unfolding Scripture's meaning by the way that she's rephrasing and explaining and elaborating on the existing content. A paraphrase is a perfectly valid form of scriptural interpretation. More important, it's one that fits well with Young's Reformed theology." - Michael Farley, Adjunct Professor of Practical Theology at Covenant Theological Seminary

"Christians should be concerned about the book on two different levels, in terms of both the method Young uses and the content of her book." - Michael Horton, J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I wasn't familiar with this book/devotional. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete