Friday, August 30, 2013

What is Worldview?

What is a worldview?
A worldview is an overarching belief system that serves as a standard for what is right and wrong, and includes every area of study such as theology, politics, ethics, morality, philosophy, science, economics, and so on. It also guides our decision-making and acts as a comb through which we filter all that we say and do, as well as believe.

What is my worldview?
My worldview is first and foremost a Christian worldview, one that begins with the fact that there is a God, He is personal, and His character is revealed in the Holy Scriptures. I believe in absolutes or absolute truth. In all areas, Scripture serves as the standard of my worldview as well as faith and reason. I believe both elements come together to form the basis for all that is true. As Martin Luther put it, “Unless I am convinced by Scripture or by plain reason… I can and will not recant.” My worldview is one that is held “captive to the Word of God” (to quote Luther again) and that essentially, all truth is God’s truth and Jesus Christ is the ultimate truth.

Why is “worldview” important?
Worldview is important because it, in many regards, makes us who we are. What we believe ultimately affects what we do, so it is crucial that we know what we believe and that what we believe is true! Its been said before and I’ll say it again, “if you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything.” That statement sums up, in my opinion, why it is so important to know what you believe and to stand for it. We do not want to be a generation with feet “firmly planted in midair” as Francis Schaeffer so eloquently put it, but we want to be a generation that stands firm on the bedrock of truth, found in God’s Word, and we can only do that if we know what we believe. That is why, I believe, worldview is so incredibly important.

2 comments:

  1. I see you are still writing. Just let me know when you have written a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm still writing. This is something I had to do for a class that I just felt like posting. And hahaha you will be the first to know when I've written a book!

    ReplyDelete